April 27th, 2023 | Careers
Arete is seeking a Community Engagement Director
Position: Community Engagement Director
Department: Marketing and Communications
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Range: $45,000-$50,000 base, plus benefits
Location: Remote Hybrid (Louisiana or Georgia)
Report to: Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Arete Scholars advances the realization of excellence in underserved and marginalized children by opening doors to opportunity. Pronounced “ah-reh-tay,” the word is an ancient Greek concept that signifies a life of virtue, courage, and excellence.
The Arete model is a holistic journey of academic formation and personal growth, which empowers children to reach their highest potential. We bridge supporters, schools, and families to create a three-pronged investment in a child’s education. It starts with a tax credit-funded scholarship from a supporter through Arete Scholars. Next, partner schools work with families to provide additional assistance. Finally, the family pays the remaining portion of tuition directly. Under this model, everyone has a vested interest in the child’s success.
With all parties invested in the child’s success, the student quickly flourishes. Arete scholars have historically achieved higher test scores, demonstrated improved social and emotional learning, and graduated high school at rates far beyond their economically disadvantaged peers. Since its founding in 2010, Arete Scholars has granted nearly 15,000 K-12 scholarships, worth nearly $75 million, to children seeking a life devoted to excellence and virtue.
Arete Scholars seeks a full-time Community Engagement Director to lead student, family, and school engagement across Georgia and Louisiana. The chosen candidate will work in tandem with Arete team members to design and devise strategy to expand Arete’s student, alumni, family, and school impact and construct new initiatives and programs that generate value and growth for the betterment of the communities we serve across Georgia and Louisiana.
This critical role involves organizing engagement initiatives and helping conceive and coordinate student and family events, building and stewarding authentic personal relationships, developing and working alongside a passionate and engaged alumni board, and harnessing our powerful mission to further empower families and elevate communities throughout the state.
Our ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Familiarity with K-12 private education and income-based scholarship programs a plus.
Leadership and Entrepreneurship
Direct and manage the student and family-centered programs for Georgia and Louisiana markets, focusing on innovation, creativity, impact, execution, and growth. Responsible for leading and developing the Arete Alumni network and creating inroads to new opportunities and resources for Arete students, alumni, families, and schools.
Structure and Focus
Being that this job is effectively remote, this role offers tremendous freedom and flexibility. In that same spirit, this person needs to be driven and disciplined and must have the intuition and ability to set their own schedules and meetings across the state, as well as focus on and finish important tasks in a timely and professional manner, to be successful.
Examples of Measurements of Success
• Annual growth of students/families impacted through programs and services
• Creation of alumni advisory board and parents council
• Number of quality meetings and dynamic partnerships established
Essential Functions and Accountabilities
• Oversee the development and execution of student, alumni, and family engagement activities, such as outreach, open houses, networking, parent advocate groups, alumni advisory board
• Work with staff to create a dynamic network of community partners, which offers deeply impactful resources, exclusive opportunities, valued programs, and supportive services that offer a holistic experience to Arete families
• Seek out, engage, and maintain third-party partnerships that create immense impact and demonstrated value to Arete students, alumni, families, and schools
• Establish and preserve strong, authentic relationships with Arete students and families, alumni, as well as school leaders and community partners
• Collaborate with staff, especially Communications team, to elevate the voices and stories of Arete students, alums, families, and school/community advocates
• Create Alumni Advisory Board and an Arete Advocates Council (comprised of engaged, passionate parents and school leaders)
• Facilitate critical education and advocacy events like National School Choice Week civics day, capital tours/rallies, school tours, and open houses
• Oversee graduate campaigns, including letters and gifts, as well as celebratory events and recognitions, awards
• Track graduates and collect important data on students, families, and alumni as well as information such as post-graduation plans (college/careers) and degrees or careers being pursued.
• Serves as a valued team member of Arete by supporting and collaborating with other staff to achieve Arete’s transformative mission in any capacity possible.
Arete Scholars consists of a group of high-functioning team members, who are passionate about empowering marginalized children with lifechanging opportunities and resources to help them realize their greatest potential and reach for their dreams. We strive to be positive, creative, selfless, and solution-minded individuals.
Excellence in Action – We pursue excellence in everything we do. We endeavor to live virtuous and courageous lives and to inspire virtue, courage, and excellence in others.
Humble Service to Others – We are here to serve, and we carry out our service with joy and humility. We treat our stakeholders with the highest level of respect, care, and professionalism.
Families First – Our greatest priority will always be families. Whether it's the families we support, our Arete work family, or each team member's family, we always act with integrity and authenticity, recognizing the dignity and humanity in every person.
Ten Hallmarks of an Arete Scholars Team Member
1. A person of the utmost integrity and character
2. A person who respects and recognizes the dignity in every person
3. A person who is mission-driven and desires to have a positive impact on their community and the world
4. A person who is driven, dependable, and accountable
5. A person who seeks first to serve and to listen, rather than be served or to be heard
6. A person of joy and positivity
7. A person who loves challenges
8. A person who is a problem solver and doer
9. A person who never stops learning and growing
10. A person who isn’t afraid to take risks and fail
This position operates in a remote environment within Georgia or Louisiana, and requires occasional on-site engagement with external stakeholders in both markets.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applications are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Please submit a resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.